Ashbourne to Rocester
The branch line from Rocester to Asbourne opened in 1852, though Rocester station had opened on the line from Uttoxeter to Leek and Macclesfield in 1849.
The line closed to passengers in 1954 and to goods in 1964.
The original station at Ashbourne was a terminus. On August 4th 1899 the line was opened to a new through station in Ashbourne, jointly owned with the LNWR. The new arrangement gave a through route to Buxton, the LNWR operating a service to Euston and return, running ove the NSR between Ashbourne and Burton, thence over the Midland and then the LNWR and MR Joint Line to reach Nuneaton. The Down service slipped a carriage for Buxton at Nuneaton.
Norbury & Ellaston opened originally as Norbury, later becoming Norbury and Ellaston - without the 'e', despite the nearby village having one.
Rocester's opening and closing dates reflect its position on the Churnet Valley line and reflect the closure of that line rather than the closure of the Ashbourne branch.
Page last updated: December 3rd 2008.